Re: How to Mount USB Stick

On Fri 24 Aug 2012 at 19:30:18 -0700, ray@aarden.us wrote:

> I am learning on Wheezy Beta1, command line only. I am trying to access
> the USB stick which was the installation media. The box has 2 SSDs.

Their device names are likely to be /dev/sda and /dev/sdb . . . .

> When I look for devices with and without the stick plugged in, the
> difference is sdc and sdc1 labeled as floppy.

. . . . so /dev/sdc looks right for the USB stick. Check by looking at
the last few lines in the output of the command

   dmesg

Somewhat quicker is

   dmesg | tail -n 25

> When I try to mount either 'floppy' or 'sdc' or 'sdc1', I get a message
> saying the device is not defined.

'floppy' is the group the file belongs to. You don't mount a group.

> How do I mount the stick? What should the command line look like?

The filesystem on your USB stick could be either iso9660 or vfat, It
depends on the method used to put the Debian iso on the stick. Hedge
your bets with

   mount -t auto /dev/sdc1 /mnt/

as root.