Re: Dual-Monitor help

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:13:36 -0500, Nelson Green wrote:

> I have been trying to get a dual monitor set-up working, and am getting
> no where with this, so it is time to request help.
>
> I have a Dell Precision T5500 with dual video cards, and I would like to
> have one large screen spread across the two monitors. The graphics cards
> are nVidia Quadro 600s, with a monitor connected to each DVI output.

(...)

> (EE) [drm] failed to open device
> (EE) VESA: Kernel modesetting driver in use, refusing to load
> (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
(...)
> (II) Loading sub module "fb"
> (II) LoadModule: "fb"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
(...)

> (==) FBDEV(0): Backing store disabled
> (EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument

Some unordered/random/quick thoughts...

1/ There seems to be a problem with the driver. As you are using Squeeze
with nvidia cards, the driver to load should be either "nouveau" or "nv"
but no "fbdev". My will guess is that the VGA cards are too new for
Squeeze's xserver Xorg packages, maybe you need to update these or that
simply KMS is having some sort of problem to be loaded.

2/ You can also try the closed source nvidia package which usually works
very well. More info about your options can be found here:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers/

3/ For setting up Xorg with dual cards (that is, two physical devices
plugged) and also configuring an extended desktop, you may also need to
manually adjust your xorg.conf file settings. Some hints here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#More_than_one_graphics_card
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA#Multiple_monitors

Greetings,

--