Re: Changing to digest form

Gary Roach wrote:
> OK, OK
> I'm convinced. I'll stay with the normal list.

:-)

> I just needed to get used to the difference.

I am so very used to seeing threaded message discussions that not
having those would drive me crazy.

> I quit the digest because it broke for me.
> This form takes a little longer to go through but not significantly
> so.

Are you using a threaded mailer?  I can only guess that you are not.
In which case you should try it.  It makes reading the mailing list
quite a pleasant experience.

And let me note that message threading is not what Gmail and MS call
conversations based upon subject.  That is yet a different way of
sorting messages.  One that is lacking in my not so humble opinion.

> I hope that this is the correct way to reply. I don't want to
> clutter up Ralf's normal in box with debian messages.

It looks okay to me.  I see no fault with it.

> I notice that a few of the lists messages are showing up in
> mine. The filter doesn't catch them because they are directly from
> the sender instead of from debian lists.

Are you talking about people who CC the original sender of the message
in addition to the mailing list?  That is against the mailing list
code of conduct which specifically says not to CC the sender too.  It
is a perpetual problem regardless.  When that happens you get a direct
copy along with the mailing list copy.  And the extra discussion
concerning it on the mailing list saying "Please don't CC me as I read
the mailing list already."

For me it means that I need to verify that I got the message by the
mailing list too (which always comes later so I usually ignore it for
a while first) and that it wasn't a reply only to me.  So I can't just
ignore them.  I have to spend effort to determine what is going on
with the message and where it came from and how it got to me.  What a
pain!  And usually from people asking for help.  My editorial remark
is that if people want help then the easiest thing is to make it easy
to be helped and they will get more of it and of a higher quality too.

I have come to the conclusion that humans are intrinsically bad at
communication.  Apparently it isn't common sense.  Apparently it does
actually require the person to put some effort into learning how to
interact with others.  I wonder if we will ever master it?  Na.
Probably not.  File it as a wishlist bug and tag it as "wontfix". :-)

Bob