Re: Changing to digest form

On 08/21/2012 11:26 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 13:51 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
Camaleón wrote:
Gary Roach wrote:
I'm presently using the standard form of this mailing list and wish to
change to the digest form.
If you want to post replies, I wouldn't do it :-/
Agreed strongly!  Please do not post replies from a digest.

Can I just re-subscribe to the digest form or do I have to unsubscribe
from the standard for as well.
You will have to "unsusbscribe" for one (normal) and then "subscribe" for
the other (digest) but again, reconsider it... if you don't want to store
messages in your hard disk you can use a newsreader and NNTP, no
subscription nor local space needed.
People using digests usually don't know how to reply using them and
cause a lot of problems.  Please don't be the source of problems.
Using a digested mailing list is hard!  You need special tools in
order to burst the digest to read and reply to it.

As Camaleón writes people that think they might want the digest form
would be much better served by using the newsgroups.  Or Gmane.  Or
other web archive reader.  I use the mailing list interface.  But to
avoid the problems of a digest I will suggest Gmane as one of the less
objectionable alternatives.  Try this.

Overview:
   http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user

Web page reader using frames and threads:
   http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user

Bob
While my MUA is able to handle replies to digest correctly, digest
anyway caused that much trouble, that I canceled it and subscribed to
the "normal" mailing list again.

YMMV,
Ralf

OK, OK
I'm convinced. I'll stay with the normal list. I just needed to get used to the difference. I quit the digest because it broke for me. This form takes a little longer to go through but not significantly so.

I hope that this is the correct way to reply. I don't want to clutter up Ralf's normal in box with debian messages. I notice that a few of the lists messages are showing up in mine. The filter doesn't catch them because they are directly from the sender instead of from debian lists.

Gary R