Re: New Mainboard.

>>________________________________

I'm finding quite a number of M-ATX boards with just the one primary IDE
channel.
If I don't have an in-box ROM drive - I find an external one more useful
that I can move from box to box - That gives me two hard drives in-box.
As I said, I have plenty of server space. Moving files to the server when
I get short of drive space is no problem.

>>I do deal with large graphics files and have as many as 11 virtual
>> windows
>>open with as many as half a dozen apps open in each, when I'm working, so
>>I'm looking at least 8 GB of RAM, but that's about it.
>
> It is rare that you'll find a micro-ATX board with more than 2 RAM slots
> due limited physical space.  If possible, for future expansion, since you
> plan to use this box a long time, I would try to find a MB that accepts up
> to 16GB RAM.  32 would be better. Every new release or OS upgrade requires
> more and more RAM as do the apps.  On this box which is 6 years old, I've
> gone from 2GB to 4 to 8 in that time.  From your use requirements, I
> consider 8GB a useful minimum.  I'm a commercial photographer (mostly),
> shoot mostly RAW images, which can be upwards of 20 to 30MB each and batch
> process hundreds of images at a time and only hit the swap very lightly.
>  I plan, in the near future, to increase to 16, the max the board will
> take.

Again, many of the M-ATX boards I'm looking at provide four slots and a
potential for 16 GB, with the ability to use 1800 Mh modules, so the
upgrade is no problem there.
I do more design and graphic work than photography, so that gives me some
leeway.

>>What recommendations and what's the latest on this UEFI rubbish?
>

> Read this (and other articles about it), particular the Criticism at the
> bottom, and make your own decision:
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface
>
> I currently avoid it, if I can.

I'd prefer to just on principle.
Any Microsoft innovation I want as far from my machines as possible.
Part of my 'Untrusted Computing Programme'.

Thanks,

Weaver.