Re: New Mainboard.

Go here:  http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/ ;  Select your requirements and see what comes up.  The database isn't complete, really, and requires multiple trials to get useful (or any) output, but it does get you "in the ballpark."

>It's a set-up that is going to last me a substantial number of years and I
>really don't need half a dozen sata or PCI sockets.
>
>One Primary IDE or Sata channel would be all I need.
>I've got server space on the network.

Whether IDE or SATA, you'll get at least two.  I myself prefer, for future expansion purposes, to have a 4 internal physical device option minimum.

>I do deal with large graphics files and have as many as 11 virtual windows
>open with as many as half a dozen apps open in each, when I'm working, so
>I'm looking at least 8 GB of RAM, but that's about it.

It is rare that you'll find a micro-ATX board with more than 2 RAM slots due limited physical space.  If possible, for future expansion, since you plan to use this box a long time, I would try to find a MB that accepts up to 16GB RAM.  32 would be better. Every new release or OS upgrade requires more and more RAM as do the apps.  On this box which is 6 years old, I've gone from 2GB to 4 to 8 in that time.  From your use requirements, I consider 8GB a useful minimum.  I'm a commercial photographer (mostly), shoot mostly RAW images, which can be upwards of 20 to 30MB each and batch process hundreds of images at a time and only hit the swap very lightly.  I plan, in the near future, to increase to 16, the max the board will take.

>What recommendations and what's the latest on this UEFI rubbish?

Read this (and other articles about it), particular the Criticism at the bottom, and make your own decision:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface

I currently avoid it, if I can.