Re: Long delay when shorewall/shorewall6 starts/stops

* On 2012 21 Aug 14:56 -0500, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > This has bugged me on and off most of this year since for some reason
> > that I can't find, the shorewall/shorewall6 startup scripts have a pause
> > of about a minute before the system start/shutdown can continue.  Right
> > now this affects both my desktop and laptop running Sid.
>
> I use shorewall on many systems and I do not experience any long
> delays at startup or shutdown.  Therefore this problem seems specific
> to the configuration of your system.

Of course.  ;-)

> > My desktop's network connection is a wired Ethernet that is managed by
> > the ifup/ifdown scripts.  My laptop's wireless and wired interfaces
> > are managed by WiCD.
>
> Same here.
>
> I assume you have something like this in your /etc/network/interfaces:
>
>   allow-hotplug eth0
>   iface eth0 inet dhcp

My laptop has exactly this stanza along with the lo stanza below in the
desktop's interfaces file.  As WiCD is used, I wonder if the eth0 stanza
in necessary at all?

> If you change that to this does it improve things?
>
>   auto eth0
>   iface eth0 inet dhcp

This stanza is how my desktop is configured along with lo:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

WiCD is not used on the desktop as its only connection is the wired
Ethernet.  The laptop can used either wired or wireless, both managed
via WiCD.

> I have notice that when used with nis/yp the above avoids an nis
> startup delay.

So far as I know, I do not use nis/yp.

I suppose the next step is figuring out how to enable debugging in
Shorewall.  Sigh...

- Nate >>