Long delay when shorewall/shorewall6 starts/stops

This has bugged me on and off most of this year since for some reason
that I can't find, the shorewall/shorewall6 startup scripts have a pause
of about a minute before the system start/shutdown can continue.  Right
now this affects both my desktop and laptop running Sid.

My desktop's network connection is a wired Ethernet that is managed by
the ifup/ifdown scripts.  My laptop's wireless and wired interfaces
are managed by WiCD.

Right now in /etc/default/shorewall|shorewall6 is the variable
'wait_interface' that is undefined.  A bit of testing shows the delay in
the scripts is not related to this variable.  After this I am stumped as
the delay is deeper in Shorewall itself.  This has gotten annoying
enough that I'm seriously considering a firewall alternative.  I like
Shorewall as it is relatively easy to configure for new servers and
such.

- Nate >>