Re: Long delay when shorewall/shorewall6 starts/stops

Nate Bargmann wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > I assume you have something like this in your /etc/network/interfaces:
> >
> >   allow-hotplug eth0
> >   iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> My laptop has exactly this stanza along with the lo stanza below in the
> desktop's interfaces file.  As WiCD is used, I wonder if the eth0 stanza
> in necessary at all?

If specified then wicd will leave it as specified for ifupdown.  If
not specified then wicd (or network-manager) will try to handle it.
So the answer of configuration is a decision for you.  Do you want
ifupdown to manage it?  Then you must specify it.  Do you want wicd to
manage it?  Then you must not specify it.

Note that udev will cache the ethernet address and if you change
network devices then udev will assign a different device name and then
wicd (or nm) will inherit it.  This happens when moving disks from one
machine to another machine with a different ethernet address in the
hardware.  Typical for me and many but unusual for many too.  This is
the  /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file.

> > If you change that to this does it improve things?
> >
> >   auto eth0
> >   iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> This stanza is how my desktop is configured along with lo:

Using 'auto' is the old way.  It sets up for a synchronous
configuration at boot time.  Using 'allow-hotplug' is the new way.  It
sets up for an event driven configuration to handle hotplug devices
such as usb devices, pcmcia, and so forth.  Both work for the most
part.  But there are corner cases in each.

> > I have notice that when used with nis/yp the above avoids an nis
> > startup delay.
>
> So far as I know, I do not use nis/yp.

I wasn't suggesting that you were using nis.  I was simply pointing
that out as a data point where using 'auto' avoids a delay but
'allow-hotplug' has a problem.  It was an example only.

> I suppose the next step is figuring out how to enable debugging in
> Shorewall.  Sigh...

Start at the /etc/init.d/shorewall level and look there first.  It is
likely not an issue with the upstream /sbin/shorewall but with the
startup script process.  I would start debugging like this:

  sh -x /etc/init.d/shorewall restart

Look at the shell trace output and see where the delay is occuring.

Bob