Re: Redhat marketing campaign going after free Linuxes

first, i love statistics - it allows people to say pretty much
whatever they want and sound honest and scientific about it.

i didn't read up on where those numbers came from, but lets assume
they are correct and honest. what they didn't give is the numbers if
an environment has all redhat boxes vs all debian or slackware or arch
or fbsd etc boxes. most places i've been at have either been pure
redhat, or mixed.

so, this begs the question, does having different distributions up the
cost of ownership? probably. should you stick with a certain system?
you can try, but if you buy software with a support contract and it
says that it'll only be supported on redhat and you run a debian shop,
you face some interesting choices.

otoh, is there any reason not to use rhel in a business? well, yes,
i'd use centos and get the best of both worlds in business. i've used
debian for 10+ years and know it quite well. some things could be
better (making sources.list more like yum.d for instance) but i know
the system way better than redhat. would i run a business on debian?
probably not. it is easier to find people that have worked with redhat
professionally, easier to find vendors who support their software on
redhat. and, if something goes wrong with my centos box, and need it
working no matter the cost, i can buy the rhel license for it, change
the repos and do the upgrade, call redhat, pay them, and have them fix
it. i don't know where i can do that with debian (and don't say
ubuntu).