Re: [OT] Re: New Mainboard.

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:49:59 +0200, Gaël DONVAL wrote:

> Le mardi 21 août 2012 à 14:35 +0000, Camaleón a écrit :
>
>> I'd look for either MSI or Gigabyte boards as both brands do high
>> quality products. And I would also choose a solution with integrated
>> VGA (ATI) to keep the case as clean and organized as possible with the
>> less cables and cooling fans as I can (less coolers, less dust :-P).
>> Also, I would look for a BIOS (non UEFI) product.
>
> I agree on the brands. But I don't on the BIOS/UEFI advice. I hardly see
> why not buying an UEFI motherboard.

Simply: because the BIOS provides a core functionality to the system and
has to work like a swiss clock and because UEFI is (still) a technology
too new to my liking.

> Secure boot and stuff like that are optional and can be disabled on
> i386/amd64 systems. My brother has one (Asus), a friend has one (MSI)
> and both of them are running Windows and Debian/Ubuntu without a glitch
> (with GPT partitioning scheme BTW).

Secure boot is not what bothers me (as you say, it can be disabled) but
how the current linux utilities are dealing with UEFI (partition tools,
boot loader, etc...). I prefer to wait until UEFI is more established in
the market.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón