Re: Wheezy and Sun-Java

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 13:59:21 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:48:51 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So, if your bank doesn't work with OpenJDK 7, then your bank is wrong.
>>>  I see you're still trying to use Oracle Java 6 (the old standard),
>>> have you tried OpenJDK Java 7 at all (the new, blessed by Oracle,
>>> standard)?
>>
>> Nah, that never works. You cant't modify the way a bank (or any other
>> non- public institution) works and develops its applications. This is
>> kinda chicken-egg problem which usually ends up in either these two
>> ways:
>>
>> 1/ You quit from your bank/company and put your money elsewhere (not
>> always a viable option).
>>
>> 2/ You install the tool they require (this usually costs less and has
>> minor drawbacks).
>
> Right, however, I wasn't suggesting attempting to change the way the
> bank works.  I'm saying that Oracle's JRE 6 worked with the bank while
> OpenJDK's JRE 6 did not.

Yes, but that's usually a problem coming from the programming side, not
from the JRE itself, I mean, nothing a "code fix" can't solve :-)

> Perhaps as Oracle developed version 7, the necessary support for the
> OP's bank may have been incorporated into OpenJDK's JRE 7 and that
> perhaps he should try it to see if it works.

Yes, but the OP already said he tried so but it failed (copy/paste from
his first post):

"(...) Unfortunately, my internet baking does not recognize openjdk. Only
sun-java seems to work. When calling technical support, the attendant
insist I should upgrade to the last sun-java plugin. There is simply
no alternatives for me."

> Meaning:
>
> 1/ Stay with your current bank.
>
> 2/ Try OpenJDK 7 because you may be surprised and it may work as well as
> Oracle JRE 6.

The second point is what I think it failed but maybe is that the user did
not try enough...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón