Re: Wheezy and Sun-Java

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 20:29:41 -0300, Dr Beco wrote:

> Dear linuxers,
>
> According to this blog (
> http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/sylvestre/2011/08/26/sun_java6_packages_removed_from_debian_u
> )
> from Sylvestre, responsible for maintaining sun-java*, Java did not
> renew it's license, and so, sun-java6-jre and sun-java-plugin will not
> be available on Wheezy.
>
> The author suggests:
> apt-get --purge remove sun-java6-jre && apt-get install openjdk-7-jre in
> another (more recent) post.

Yup, Oracle's Java is being dropped from many linux distributions (or at
least treated as a second-class JRE, which I think is a good counter-
measure).

> Unfortunately, my internet baking does not recognize openjdk. Only
> sun-java seems to work. When calling technical support, the attendant
> insist I should upgrade to the last sun-java plugin. There is simply no
> alternatives for me.

Yes, sad but true. Many sites and applications are developed for Oracle's
Java and present some errors when using one from a different vendor ;-(

> I managed to install sun-java after adding the old "squeeze" repository
> temporarily to my sources.list. It is working now without any problems.

That's not the way to go. There's nothing bad about installing Oracle's
java packages BUT please, do not get old versions because they present
security issues. Instead, go to Oracle's site and get the updated
releases of Java packages from there by following their instructions.

> I would like to call the attention to this problem. Please:
>
> 1) If possible, something like the flash plugin should be done. It
> simply download the last sun-java from the original website and installs
> it. (We don't need sun-java to be at the repository)

To be sincere, I wouldn't go for it. Oracle is who started this "war" and
changed the rules for the Java distribution so I wouldn't make any move
to facilititate users to install their Java version.

> 2) If using squeeze repository is the only way we can still have sun
>-java6 working, don't break this possibility on the release version of
> Wheezy.

Using Squeeze's Java is a very bad idea and shouldn't be recommended
at all (I already explained why).

> 3) If there is an easy way of creating a ".deb" package from the .tgz on
> the original site, that would also be nice. Something like the
> google-earth package, I believe.

I would ask Oracle about this, it can be legal/licensing reasons that
forbid users from doing it :-/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón