Re: Wheezy and Sun-Java

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 20:29:41 -0300, Dr Beco wrote:
>
>> Dear linuxers,
>>
>> According to this blog (
>> http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/sylvestre/2011/08/26/sun_java6_packages_removed_from_debian_u
>> )
>> from Sylvestre, responsible for maintaining sun-java*, Java did not
>> renew it's license, and so, sun-java6-jre and sun-java-plugin will not
>> be available on Wheezy.
>>
>> The author suggests:
>> apt-get --purge remove sun-java6-jre && apt-get install openjdk-7-jre in
>> another (more recent) post.
>
> Yup, Oracle's Java is being dropped from many linux distributions (or at
> least treated as a second-class JRE, which I think is a good counter-
> measure).

Oracle's Java *is* a second class citizen, as intended by Oracle
themselves.  Previously, Oracle Java 6 was the standard reference
implementation of the Java specification.  With Java 7, OpenJDK is the
standard reference implementation[1].  The irony of this, of course,
is that Oracle's own Java is now the "fork" and OpenJDK is the "real"
Java.

[1] https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/moving_to_openjdk_as_the

So, if your bank doesn't work with OpenJDK 7, then your bank is wrong.
 I see you're still trying to use Oracle Java 6 (the old standard),
have you tried OpenJDK Java 7 at all (the new, blessed by Oracle,
standard)?

--
Chris