Re: Wheezy and Sun-Java

> Dear linuxers,
>
> According to this blog (
> http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/sylvestre/2011/08/26/sun_java6_packages_re
> moved_from_debian_u )
> from Sylvestre, responsible for maintaining sun-java*, Java did not
> renew it's license, and so, sun-java6-jre and sun-java-plugin will not
> be available on Wheezy.
>
> The author suggests:
> apt-get --purge remove sun-java6-jre && apt-get install openjdk-7-jre
> in another (more recent) post.

  Several folks have recommended the icedtea plug-in, that's a good one.

  What I have done on my (squeeze) systems is, get the Sun Java tgz,
and unpack it into /usr/local/stow/jre1.7.0_05 (or whatever, the
tgz will create the directory), and then push it into /usr/local
with "stow".  The browser plug-in will then be in
/usr/local/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so, you can sym-link to it from
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, and it will then be preserved across
versions if you un-stow an old one and re-stow a new one, and
almost all browsers will find it there.  (Konqueror won't, but
Konqueror's java set-up is different anyways).

  I did this because I had a few things that absolutely insisted
on havnig Sun Java -- it's a bit fiddly to set up (and you may have
to learn about "stow", but this is time well spent...), but it's
reasonably robust.

                                -- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net