Re: strange behavior after reboot, iceweasel locking everything up

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 17:07:53 -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 02:33:39PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> Okay, Tony, before going any further into this, are you sure that your
>> hard disk and partitions are all fine? Were all the scary messages
>> finally went away? How about the SMART test?
>
> There are no NEW such messages in dmesg. I ran fsck like 3 times, and
> the last time if finally ended with File system has been modified...
> and booted up fine without any more messages about a corrupt file
> system.

That seems reassuring but I would also run the hard disk health tests
from the hard disk manufacturer's utilities. And I'd do it just because
it costs you nothing and to be sure because I don't like to play with
this kind of errors as they can be really fatal ;-(

> Everything, except iceweasel, seems to be working normally. In the
> meantime, I am using SRWare's Iron browser, but would prefer to return
> to iceweasel.

Okay, let's continue then with Iceweasel oddities.

>> - Have you tried with an empty/fresh Icewasel profile?
>
> Nope.  Not sure how that's done, but, anyway, the reason I want
> iceweasel back is to have all my bookmarks and settings and saved
> passwords, etc.

This is the first thing to try because usually these problems are coming
from your usual profile. Once you diagnose the problem then you can take
whatever steps on how to proceed but at least you know what's happening.

To test a new profile you can (among other options):

a) Rename the current folder (e.g., from "~/.mozilla" to
"~/.mozilla_orig") and as soon as you launch Iceweasel again a new empty
folder will be created.

b) Or simply create a new user in your system, login with it and launch
Icewasel.

And check for the results.

>> - Have you tried with upstream Firefox?
>
> No. Just Iceweasel 14 from backports. I try to use only debian packages.
> (Ok, I'm using iron, which is not a debian pkg, but our chromium is very
> old and out of date.  Midori, arora, kazehake, and every other browser
> we have in repos suck.  Iceape is working, and I may use that, but
> still, prefer my iceweasel).

This would be another good test but well, that decission is, of course,
up to you. Just to mention that Firefox (the upstream package) works
smoothly in my old Lenny system and is very easy to maintain/update.

>> - What does "top" say when system runs slowly?
>
> That's the weird part.
> I run htop. It will say, with iceweasel running, that I'm still only
> using like 1 or 2% cpu and 2 to 4 % ram.

You mean the Iceweasel GUI is lagging but you see nothing strange in its
process? No big amount of ram or cpu used by the browser nor any other
application? :-?

>> The (sluggish) behaviour you're getting is not normal, even more with a
>> powerful computer like yours where Iceweasel has to run super-smoothly
>> and flawlessly.
>
> It was, in fact, until this recent matter. A friend tells me he also is
> having similar issues, with iceweasel 14, and they only started after a
> reboot. Iceweasel was last updated sometime last week, I believe, when I
> ran updates.  I had not rebooted (generally don't) until Saturday, and
> then this started, after the reboot.

That points to a profile issue, indeed.

In my case, to avoid that, I continously open/close the browser, remove
all cookies, history and temporal data and keep no passwords saved. Yes,
I'm not usual user-case, I know but this allows me to have a clean and
bright Firefox experience :-)

> I have reinstalled iceweasel a couple of time, but nothing changes.

Reinstalling makes no changes in your current profile, is kept "as is".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón