Re: strange behavior after reboot, iceweasel locking everything up

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 02:33:39PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 21:43:33 -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 08:10:07PM -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:
>
> (...)
>
> > Nope.
> > Still hanging....iceweasel hangs a long time just trying to grab pages,
> > and I can't even go to another tab or something. The whole browser just
> > locks up, for as much as a minute or two, when trying to load a page.
> > It's become almost useless.
> > I mean, what's the point in tabbed browsing if you can't read one tab
> > while waiting for another to load?
>
> Okay, Tony, before going any further into this, are you sure that your
> hard disk and partitions are all fine? Were all the scary messages
> finally went away? How about the SMART test?

There are no NEW such messages in dmesg.
I ran fsck like 3 times, and the last time if finally ended with
File system has been modified...
and booted up fine without any more messages about a corrupt file
system.
Everything, except iceweasel, seems to be working normally.
In the meantime, I am using SRWare's Iron browser, but would prefer
to return to iceweasel.

> If this is all good, then we can go on... if no, your priority should be
> the hard disk at first place.
>
> Now, in regards to your Iceweasel problems, some basic questions:
>
> - Have you tried with an empty/fresh Icewasel profile?

Nope.  Not sure how that's done, but, anyway, the reason I want
iceweasel back is to have all my bookmarks and settings and saved
passwords, etc.

> - Have you tried with upstream Firefox?

No. Just Iceweasel 14 from backports.
I try to use only debian packages.
(Ok, I'm using iron, which is not a debian pkg, but our chromium is
very old and out of date.  Midori, arora, kazehake, and every other
browser we have in repos suck.  Iceape is working, and I may use that,
but still, prefer my iceweasel).

> - What does "top" say when system runs slowly?

That's the weird part.
I run htop. It will say, with iceweasel running, that I'm still only
using like 1 or 2% cpu and 2 to 4 % ram.

> The (sluggish) behaviour you're getting is not normal, even more with a
> powerful computer like yours where Iceweasel has to run super-smoothly
> and flawlessly.

It was, in fact, until this recent matter.
A friend tells me he also is having similar issues, with iceweasel 14,
and they only started after a reboot.
Iceweasel was last updated sometime last week, I believe, when I ran
updates.  I had not rebooted (generally don't) until Saturday, and then
this started, after the reboot.

I have reinstalled iceweasel a couple of time, but nothing changes.

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time!