Re: [OT] Intelectual Property Law

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jo, 02 aug 12, 09:41:59, Celejar wrote:
>>
>> Well, we'll have to agree to disagree here, as we're just disagreeing
>> over irreducible first principles. I, and the law, think that it is
>> reasonable and fair that the creator of certain types of intellectual /
>> cultural artifacts should be entitled to some sort of restrictions on
>> who can utilize and implement those ideas; you disagree.
>
> The creator? Sure! But the creators are rarely -- and mostly only in a
> small proportion -- the beneficiaries of selling copies of their
> creation. Also, as far as I know several works that are now considered
> to be very important/inovative/etc. actually had a hard time getting
> published. How many others did not make it?

Agreed. I remember the hype about Napster in the late 90s. They did a
study of how much the artist got from a $0.99 track. It turned out to
be 1/10,000 of a cent.

And there have been several cases where the labels have come down on
the artists for releasing their own music on the internets. One was
the Beastie Boys. They were threatened with legal action. The other
was the group of artists that made the megadownload video/music. BMG
was (illegally) going in to youtube and claiming copyright and pulling
the ad down.

--b