Re: Optimal Storage Server

On 7/22/2012 10:17 AM, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> But if you multiply the price of five Netgear NV+ (which each holds four
> disks) ~ CHF 300.-- each then this isn't what I'd call cheap.

And even if your self built (take lots of pride in that achievement BTW)
Norco solution is slightly more expensive, you have a large number of
advantages, not least of which is increased performance.  You can also
have all your files under one share/mapping where that would be 5 shares
using the ready made NAS boxen.  And you intentionally built it leaving
some performance on the table, for increased flexibility WRT expansion
with one filesystem tree.

You're getting ~60MB/s server <> laptop now (which is pretty nice for a
laptop mechanical drive).  Drop an SSD into the laptop and you should be
seeing closer to 90-100MB/s, assuming you're cabled with GbE and the
NICs on both ends are decent.

> And with the speed and possibilities it gives me I consider my solution
> better than what I could get from a ready to use NAS.

Amen. ;)

Just imagine what it would do if you started from scratch with 20 of the
Black drives in md/RAID6 w/a 32K chunk, and XFS tuned to the stripe.
You'd easily hit 1GB/s streaming reads, with streaming writes probably

--
Stan