Optimal Storage Server

Hello,

I am trying to put together a 2U storage server for data. I have previously invested in NAS equipment such as the Netgear NAS 1100 that I have been disappointed in to say the least - data write speed of 5MB/s.

This time around I want to build something that I have control over hardware than to rely on equipment that I am locked in with, and not to mention limitations.

I would like an opinion from this group on successful implementation as I will highly be using the server for vitalization disks (iSCSI), backup, file share, etc. I want to make sure that I chose the right hardware to get the best read/write performance.

Experiences shared will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam.