Re: Optimal Storage Server

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 07:41:32 -0400, Shaffin Bhanji wrote:

> I am trying to put together a 2U storage server for data. I have
> previously invested in NAS equipment such as the Netgear NAS 1100 that I
> have been disappointed in to say the least - data write speed of 5MB/s.
>
> This time around I want to build something that I have control over
> hardware than to rely on equipment that I am locked in with, and not to
> mention limitations.
>
> I would like an opinion from this group on successful implementation as
> I will highly be using the server for vitalization disks (iSCSI),
> backup, file share, etc. I want to make sure that I chose the right
> hardware to get the best read/write performance.

Hi Sam

I was at the same point some months ago. I had a Netgear NV+ and even
lower data rates (read and write not even 2 MB/s). I didn't want to fill
the case up but I wanted to have the possibility to expand it later.

What I did is was to go for a Norco 19" 4U case [1].
Of course Norco has as well 2U cases [2].

With the help of this list (especially Stan) I went for a MegaRAID SAS
9240 controller and an Inter SAS expander. I had serious problems getting
it working with a Supermicro C7P67 mainboard. But in an Asus P7P55D it
works like a charm. I use the hba in jbod mode and let mdadm do the raid
stuff.

When I copied my old data (from 4 disks in RAID5 attached directly to
mobo) to the new hardware (to 4 disks attached to the Intel expander and
the LSI hba) I had data speed measured with rsync of more than 150 MB/s.
When I now copy things I have data rates of about 60 MB/s. This is read
and write to the disk over ethernet and from a 2.5" laptop drive to the
raid inside the server again measured with rsync.

Hope this helps a little.

Best regards
Ramon

[1] http://cybershop.ri-vier.nl/4u-rackmnt-server-case-w20-hotswap-
satasas-drv-bays-rpc4020-p-17.html
[2] http://cybershop.ri-vier.nl/19-inch-rack-mount-2u-rack-mount-case-
c-1_3_5.html?zenid=3f7d9a26cb57676b810105b2621b6c13