Re: Fwd: How can I install an amd64 to my new bought Laptop/

On 15/07/12 11:24 AM, Benimaur Gao wrote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Benimaur Gao<benimaur@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Subject: Re: How can I install an amd64 to my new bought Laptop/
To: gary@dalefamily.org

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM, Gary Dale<garydale@rogers.com>  wrote:
On 15/07/12 10:24 AM, Benimaur Gao wrote:
Hi,
     I bought a new Laptop a few days ago, it's an X220i, and I planned
to install a amd64 system on it
     I dump a netinst iso(amd64) image to a flash disk by dd, boot and
try to work with it, but I found it just cannot use. :(
     it's so easy to get crash after some trivial commands, such as 'tar
xjvf', 'rsync -av', etc. The system just hang after dumping some info,
I can't write them down entirely, too much content, I saw the keywords
are about 'SMP', 'protecting'...
     Another two things I have tried:
     1. I boot my old X61 with the same usb, It works OK with the
previous deadly commands..
     2. I change to an i386 image, It works fine with my new X220i and
the same commands.
     I hope to install the amd64 and I need your assistance! thank you!!

     //btw, another thing to complain :(
     I think it's very inconvenient to work with a netinst iso that lack
of wpasupplicant! The WLAN and wpa/wpa2 authentication is so
ubiquitous nowadays, It's annoying to find a UTP cable..
If the USB key boot works on the X61, it should work on the X2200i, even
though your method of creating a boot "disk" sounds dodgy. Did you try the
methods suggested at
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en?

I'm not sure what you mean by "some trivial commands". Did you get the
install to work or not?
Actually I don't want to run the install wizzard...
I am used to install system through debootstrap.

"some trivial commands" such as tar, rsync //etc, when I run this
command, my system get hang..
May I suggest using the installer? It does proper hardware detection. Without it, you can experience all kinds of problems - as you seem to be.