Shutdown and suspend not working on laptop

I am having trouble with power management on my laptop. I cannot get suspend or shutdown to work, attempting either causes my laptop to have a black screen and not respond to any input and I am forced to manually shutdown by holding the power button. I am running Debian Squeeze with KDE. Shutting down I attempt through KDE's menu and through running "shutdown." Suspending I attempt by shutting my laptop lid on battery which causes it to "Suspend to RAM." My laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ61. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks