Re: Re (2): xmonad and LXDE.

peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > ... before switching to xmonad you should kill exit openbox first.
>
> Killing the openbox process is easy but how can another WM be
> started?  There is no terminal on the target system and xmonad lacks
> a display parameter which  might allow starting via the network.

When doing things like that with the window manager I usually start a
terminal first.  I like xterm.  Then in xterm I would kill the
previous window manager and then start the second.

  $ ps -e | grep openbox
  $ kill $OPENBOXPID
  $ xmonad &

More pedantically that last should probably be:

  $ nohup xmonad </dev/null >~/.xsession-errors 2>&1 &
  $ disown

> > $ update-alternatives ...
>
> This is my effort to switch the WM with update-alternatives.
>
> root@dalton:/home/peter# update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
> There are 2 choices for the alternative x-window-manager (providing /usr/bin/x-w
> indow-manager).
>
>   Selection    Path              Priority   Status
> * 0            /usr/bin/openbox   90        auto mode
>   1            /usr/bin/openbox   90        manual mode
>   2            /usr/bin/xmonad    20        manual mode

Looks reasonable.

> Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number: 2
> update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/xmonad to provide /usr/bin/x-window-manager
> (x-window-manager) in manual mode.

Looks good.

> root@dalton:/home/peter# update-alternatives --display x-window-manager
> x-window-manager - manual mode
>   link currently points to /usr/bin/xmonad
> /usr/bin/openbox - priority 90
>   slave x-window-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/openbox.1.gz
> /usr/bin/xmonad - priority 20
> Current 'best' version is '/usr/bin/openbox'.
>
> No error message but openbox remains 'best'?

Right.  Because openbox has the highest priority of any package
installed providing that alternative.

But see where it says this:

> root@dalton:/home/peter# update-alternatives --display x-window-manager
> x-window-manager - manual mode
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^

So the priority doesn't matter and the "best" doesn't matter.

>   link currently points to /usr/bin/xmonad

So you successfully switched the symlink.

To return the selection to the package priorities use --auto like
this:

  update-alternatives --auto x-window-manager

Note that there is x-window-manager and x-session-manager and they are
used for slightly different purposes in the scripts.  Both are Debian
specific because they were created to be something that the packages
could use to symlink through the alternatives so that different
packages could be swapped in and out as they are installed and removed.

Bob