xmonad and LXDE.

xdm and LXDE are installed here.  Wikipedia tells that xdm
is a display manager and LXDE is a desktop environment.  I'm
convinced that the acronyms are consistent with function.
No outstanding problems with either of these softwares.

Currently I'm interested to try xmonad.  Wikipedia tells
that it is a window manager.  The xmonad metapackage is
installed.  /usr/share/doc/xmonad/README has
Running xmonad:
    Add:
         $HOME/bin/xmonad
to the last line of your .xsession or .xinitrc file.

/usr/share/doc/xmonad/README.Debian doesn't contradict this
but there is no ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc here.

Well, given that xmonad is a window manager, it might be able to
manage windows in LXDE.  I opened an LXTerminal and tried it.

peter@dalton:~$ xmonad
X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
  Major opcode of failed request:  2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
  Serial number of failed request:  7

"private resource"?  Definitely clear as mud.

In all the screenshots I've seen, the xmonad windows occupy the whole screen
with nothing else visible at the edges.  So I wonder whether xmonad can run
on X without a desktop environment.  Explanations?

Does anyone here use xmonad?  How do you start it?

Thanks,                 ... Peter E.

-- 456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789
Telephone 1 360 639 0202.  Bcc: peter at easthope.ca  http://carnot.yi.org/
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "