Re: xmonad and LXDE.

John L. Cunningham wrote:
> peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> > In all the screenshots I've seen, the xmonad windows occupy the
> > whole screen with nothing else visible at the edges.  So I wonder
> > whether xmonad can run on X without a desktop environment.
> > Explanations?
>
> xmonad is a tiling window manager. The windows expand and/or contract so
> that the entire screen is always filled. (Unless you have configured it
> to behave otherwise). You may want to search for xmonad on youtube to
> see it in action.

Additionally there are (at least) three layers when looking at this
topic.  The X Window System itself, window managers, desktop
environments, in that order.  X can be run by itself, albeit not very
usefully.  Window managers need X.  You can run very well with X and a
window manager and without a desktop environment.  Desktop
Environments need X and usually need a window manager.  This is
implementation dependent.  GNOME 2 definitely worked in conjuction
with a window manager such as sawfish in the earlier days and then
metacity in the later days.  Desktop environments are often criticized
for being very heavy and bloated.

Xmonad is a window manager.  It may run on X and under a DE.  But it
does not require a DE.  It is perfectly functional by itself on X
without a DE.

Xmonad should run fine under LXDE.  I believe that by default LXDE
uses openbox as the window manager.  That means that before switching
to xmonad you should kill exit openbox first.

LXDE is a desktop environment.  It is relatively lightweight when
compared to GNOME and KDE.  But relatively heavy when compared to X
and a light window manager by itself.

I personally don't like the heavy desktop environments.  I run X with
a window manager but without a desktop session manager.  For the
previous couple of decades it was fvwm.  A very nice environment.
These days I am using awesome window manager.  I am also exploring
stumpwm and xmonad too.  All tiling managers.  All without a desktop
environment such as LXDE, KDE, or GNOME.

> > Does anyone here use xmonad?  How do you start it?
>
> How does xdm know to start LXDE if you don't have a ~/.xsession file?

On Debian the default /etc/X11/Xsession will use a default if you
don't have one of your own.  The Debian one must handle different
packages being installed and removed therefore it uses the command
x-session-manager as an "alternatives" management system.  Various
window managers install alternatives to it.  It always points to
either the highest priority installed one, the last installed one if
there are equal priorities, or the manually selected one.

Run this:

  $ update-alternatives --display x-session-manager

The output will be different depending upon what you have installed
and the order you installed them.

Bob