Re: xmonad and LXDE.

On Thu 2012-07-12 10:29:32 AM, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> Currently I'm interested to try xmonad.  Wikipedia tells
> that it is a window manager.  The xmonad metapackage is
> installed.  /usr/share/doc/xmonad/README has
> Running xmonad:
>     Add:
>          $HOME/bin/xmonad
> to the last line of your .xsession or .xinitrc file.
>
> /usr/share/doc/xmonad/README.Debian doesn't contradict this
> but there is no ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc here.

If you ditch xdm and start using startx, you can put the xmonad command
in your .xinitrc. If you want to keep using xdm, you'll need to create
the .xsession file. A minimal one would just have the command "xmonad"
in it. See

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Frequently_asked_questions#How_can_I_use_xmonad_with_a_display_manager.3F_.28xdm.2C_kdm.2C_gdm.29

> In all the screenshots I've seen, the xmonad windows occupy the whole screen
> with nothing else visible at the edges.  So I wonder whether xmonad can run
> on X without a desktop environment.  Explanations?
>
> Does anyone here use xmonad?  How do you start it?

I start it with startx, and don't run a DE with it. My .xinitrc has
commands for loading .Xresources and starting some programs like a
clipboard manager, dbus, etc. I find the whole setup very usable, and it
gives me more control than xdm would.

Hope this helps,
MM