Re: Do ATI HD cards have good working drivers for Linux (Debian Squeeze in particular)

On 11/07/12 09:07 AM, aditya menon wrote:
Okay, thanks again... I'll research more again if the card is supported (and whether I can get extended VGA standards) :)

AMD/ATI make proprietary drivers for their cards. However for many cards, the open source drivers work as well or better. The radeonhd driver is part of X.org.

By coincidence, I've just also purchased a HD 6450 card since the price was right. Got it at Canada Computers for $19.99 (after mail-in rebate) yesterday. It's a step up from the integrated HD 3300 on my motherboard.

To learn how to install the proprietary drivers go to http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary/#Squeeze.

Note that you can also install from AMD/ATI's installer but this is trickier and may not work with Squeeze. Using the Debian/Squeeze sources, you can usually get it working without too much effort.