Do ATI HD cards have good working drivers for Linux (Debian Squeeze in particular)

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to get a new computer, and the one I really like is an All-in-one from Lenovo with ATI HD 6450 graphics. Does anyone have experience with that? I made a huge mistake last time by getting an nVidia Optimus card, it turned out that neither Linux nor many games work properly with it (nVidia's fault for not releasing proper drivers).  I tried a lot of stuff including bumblebee etc (which doesn't work but I botched the uninstall and it still lives on my computer)

I want to mitigate that risk this time... please help? Thanks!

--
sincerely,
aditya menon