Re: Current SSD setup recommendations for laptop with Debian

On 03/07/12 07:49 AM, Nick Lidakis wrote:
I've decided to replace the failing hard disk on my Debian Thinpad with an
SSD. As I use the laptop in a harsh mobile environment, I decided to get and
SSD. This one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167122

Then, I decided to Google SSD in relation to formatting, partitions and
Debian/Linux. Seems there's a lot of old information; people saying some
techniques for SSD setup are plain wrong; arguments about enabling TRIM;
laptop setup vs SSD and HDD setup; etc., etc.

The Debian SSD wiki (http://wiki.debian.org/SSDoptimization) leaves out
"An important aspect in optimizing SSD performance is the file system and
partition layout. Ths wiki page does not cover these issues."

So, it's 2012 and I'm a heavy Firefox user on Thinkpad with 3gigs of RAM.
I'd like to install via a new install cd. What are the currentoepn
recommendations? Do I have to do an "alignment"? Does the Debian net install
have the tools necessary to do this or is SSD an option and things happen
automagically? Which file system is recommended for and SSD in a laptop.
fstab options? Anything else before I do my install?

Stan Hoeppener gave you good advice. Take it.

Hobbyists waste a lot of time tweaking systems because that's their hobby. Any SSD is going to be faster than your old HD. And unless your life is measured in milliseconds, you won't be able to tell the difference between them for anything you're likely to do. There are some applications where one make a difference over another but then you wouldn't be making the purchasing decision - your IT staff would.

The technology is constantly improving so get a recent model - not something from three years ago. Get one that is as fast as your SATA ports. Get one that is large enough to hold everything but your /home folders unless you are independently wealthy.

Enjoy the speed. Don't fret over whether it's setup to squeeze out the ultimate performance.