Re: custom kernel without initrd and with udev

Mike McClain a écrit :

> VFS: Cannot open root device "sdb5" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Please append correct "root=" boot option; here are available partitions:
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
>
> Note that there are no 'available partitions' listed though before I reach this
> point

If the kernel cannot find any partitions, it could be because any of the
following configuration options are missing :
- disk controller handling (depends on your hardware)
- disk handling (BLK_DEV_SD as sdb is an SCSI-style disk)
- partition table handling (usually MSDOS_PARTITION on PC)

> So you are running two systems one with udev and one without?

Yes. The only useful udev feature I needed on that system was firmware

> If so, on the one without did you populate /dev by hand?

No, the static /dev was populated by default.

> On the one with udev what does your grub.cfg entry look like?

Nothing worth mentionning, I guess. Just root=/dev/sda1 on the kernel
command line.