Re: getting gnome 3

On 07/06/2012 09:04 PM, Dom wrote:
On 07/07/12 03:30, Marc Shapiro wrote:
On 07/03/2012 06:47 AM, Camaleón wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 20:48:53 +0200, Kristoffer Gustafsson wrote:

Is there an easy way to install gnome 3 and the latest packages in
squeeze? Because that I can install.
No. If you want GNOME3+gnome-shell, reconsider wheezy.

Now that Wheezy is frozen (and will, within 6 months or so become
stable) will it be possible to keep Gnome2 when upgrading, or will we be
forced to use Gnome3?

You'll have to use Gnome3. You can use it in "Gnome Classic" mode (fallback) for now, but it has been strongly hinted that that option won't be available for much longer.

I've switched to XFCE, as Gnome3 was too much of a PITA to try and use on my laptop (I used pinning to keep Gnome2 as long as possible, but was missing out on important updates). XFCE is sufficiently "Gnome2" like for me, once I'd tweaked a few things.

Thanks, Dom, and everyone else who replied.

Until recently, I avoided all DMs and simply used fvwm2. I had a hard drive failure, however, and needed to reinstall (but I managed to retrieve most of my data). I let the installer take its defaults, which meant gnome2. I decided to see what gnome was like these days and there are certainly advantages to a full DE over a WM. My daughter likes the way gnome works, too. Gnome3, however, just looks like a royal pain. I may install XFCE and use it myself (while my wife and daughter can continue to use gnome). This will give me a chance to see how it will work out now, while I still have options, rather than suddenly having gnome3 thrust upon me.

Marc