Re: custom kernel without initrd and with udev

Hi Dom,

    Thanks for your suggestions and letting me know this is still possible.

On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 04:56:10AM +0100, Dom wrote:
> On 07/07/12 00:08, Mike McClain wrote:
<snip>
> >     Is anyone running a custom kernel without an initrd with udev?
>
> Yes, I am. Although I believe there are some circumstances where
> this may not be possible. eg. where something else needs to be
> started in order to mount the root filesystem first.

How do you get around the fact that udev is not running yet?
May I see what your entry in grub.cfg looks like for this kernel?

> Some of my older machines (kept running for sentimental reasons)
> need an old ATA/IDE driver that the current Debian kernels do not
> include.

I ran into a similar situation with a video card that xorg didn't support
and kept using woody drivers up through etch until that box died.

> >Any tips, pointers will be appreciated.
>
> Make sure that *all* filesystem and device drivers for your root
> partition are compiled directly into the kernel - not as modules.
>
> Look at what modules are used from your initrd and compile those
> into your kernel
>
> In fact, if you are building a kernel specifically for one box (or a
> set of similar boxen), it is a good idea to have all/most hardware
> drivers built-in. I only have external peripherals (USB/cardbus
> devices) built as modules.

Good points and that's what I'm trying to do.

Thanks again,
Mike
--
Satisfied user of Linux since 1997.