Re: startup script

Thanks, rjc, for a very informative post. Unfortunately, my setup (Stock
Debian 6.0.5) doesn't seem to agree with your description.
On 01/07/12 19:31, rjc wrote:

>> The reason I asked here is because I previously tried doing exactly what
>> you suggest by putting a link in ~/.kde/Autostart to the script, but it
>> doesn't appear to work.
>
> In KDE4 the directory in question is $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/autostart [0] or
> $KDEHOME/Autostart [1].

Neither of those variables is set here, so ~/.config/autostart looks
promising. Sadly, putting the link to my script in there doesn't cause
it to be run on login.

>> As mentioned, I have a link to that script in ~/kde/autostart.
>> Unfortunately it doesn't autostart.
>
> And it won't.

Why not? You chastise me for giving insufficient information, but you're
equally terse ;)
Excuse the typo; it should have read ~/kde/Autostart.

Someone else suggested using the inbuilt KDE autostart tool. That does
actually work, so Im out of the woods, but I'd dearly love to know how
it works. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

> P.S. If you'd like your script to run both from X and console login,
> put it in KDE's autostart folder and run it from .bash_profile,
> .bash_login or .profile (in that order as Bash will stop searching for
> the other ones after the first success - told you it's a bit of a mess
> ;^)

OK, thanks for the information; I'll try to get it working for KDE login
first.

> [0] if $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is not set it defaults to $HOME/.config
> [1] if $KDEHOME is not set it defaults to $HOME/.kde4

$KDEHOME is not set, but I have no kde4 directory.

--
Tony van der Hoff  | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Ariège, France     |