Re: startup script

On 01/07/12 13:01, Claudius Hubig wrote:
> Hello Tony,
>
> Tony van der Hoff <tony@vanderhoff.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a script (non gui) which I want to run each time I log in. Which
>> is the correct way to do this?
>
> Log in on a TTY/console or into a desktop environment? KDE, Xfce and
> GNOME all have autostart settings, other non-DE graphical interfaces
> usually use .xinitrc to start things automatically.
>
> If you are on a bare shell, try .bashrc or .profile.

Thanks, Claudius. This is primarily for KDE, but I would expect it to
work for a console login as well. Does KDE try to run ~/.bashrc or
~/.profile?

The reason I asked here is because I previously tried doing exactly what
you suggest by putting a link in ~/.kde/Autostart to the script, but it
doesn't appear to work.

I don't appear to have ~/.bashrc nor ~/.profile.

Perhaps more detail is required.

I have a script named ~/scripts/start-socks-proxy.sh, containing:
-------------------------------
#! /bin/bash
ssh -CNfqD8080 tony@xxxx.org.uk

This works fine when invoking from a terminal, or when double-clicking
in konqueror.

As mentioned, I have a link to that script in ~/kde/autostart.
Unfortunately it doesn't autostart.

--
Tony van der Hoff  | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Ariège, France     |