Re: Problem with Disk test

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 17:01:17 -0600, Shane Johnson wrote:

> I was wondering if someone could maybe shed some light on a problem I am
> having.  I have build a Debian Squeeze server using debootstrap with and
> without backports.  When I run badblocks from the installed system I
> keep getting errors

Then run a full test with smartctl and upload the results somewhere.

Badblocks are usually silently remapped by the hard disk, marked and bad
as discarded, but if there are many it can indicate a serious problem or
a disk going bad. This can be usually detected by reading the current
"pending sector count" value from smartctl.

> but when I run it from the Live CD nothing.

A LiveCD barely uses the hard disk but the CD media, it's fully loaded
from RAM memory.

> Could I have missed a package in my install?

A missing package does not have to trigger badlocks.

> Any other ideas on what's happening?  (This is the only system out of 5
> that this is happening on.
>  All the others where built the same way. )

A dying hard disk?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón