Re: Problem with Disk test

Shane Johnson wrote:
I was wondering if someone could maybe shed some light on a problem I
am having.  I have build a Debian Squeeze server using debootstrap
with and without backports.  When I run badblocks from the installed
system I keep getting errors but when I run it from the Live CD
nothing.  Could I have missed a package in my install?  Any other
ideas on what's happening?  (This is the only system out of 5 that
this is happening on.  All the others where built the same way. )

Thanks

Seagate publishes a diagnostic. The version I have is:
   SeaTools Desktop Edition v3.02 (19-May-2005)

I believe it. or its successor, is available (as an ISO) at
http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

It will complain if your drive is not thier's, but will still run the tests.

If the questionable system:
   fails,  I would procure a new drive.
   passes, I would _*SUSPECT*_ a software problem.

You omitted a possibly critical piece of information - "Just how similar are the FIVE systems?"

CAVEAT LECTOR: I've demonstrated here that I'm NOT a *nix expert. BUT, when the 8085 was "latest and greatest", I had do be referee between hardware and software when a product didn't pass final QC ;<

BTW, CK722's, 12AX7's, 026's anyone ;)