Re: Wireless network not found

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 07:58:46 +1000, Nathan D'elboux wrote:

(reply goes to the bottom)

> On 27/06/2012, at 1:18 AM, "Camaleón" <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> Mmm... but your laptop is seeing the AP, what's the problem then, that
>> you can't pair/associate your wireless card to it? :-?
>>
>> I would run N-M (or whatever applet/tool you are using to configure the
>> network adapter settings) and then try to establish a connection. While
>> doing so, open a terminal and as root type:
>>
>> tail -f /var/log/syslog
>>
>> There should be more information about the process that is taking place
>> in background.

> Hi Camaleon,
>
> Thanks for your response, I should have clarified earlier sorry that the
> iwconfig output I pasted below is the output if it connected to my
> portable hotspot at the time I was writing the email. Not my billion
> home Adsl that I'm having trouble with

Ouch!

> The SSID is currently broadcasted but you are correct also about a/b/g/n
> is available. I will disable these to make N the only speed available

Just note that both, the AP and your wireless card(s) have to support the
choosen speed, that is, if your wifi card(s) can only work at "g" speed
your AP has to be set to support only "g" (or "g" alongside "n" → b/g/n).

> I will attempt these few tweaks when I get a chance tonight

Don't forget to review the syslog! :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón