Re: Wireless network not found

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 21:39:06 +1000, Nathan D'elboux wrote:

> I cannot find my home ADSL Billion router SSID to connect to from my
> laptop.
>
> I have Squeeze running on a Toshiba Satellite P200, it has the wireless
> chipset Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or
> AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61). I also use a billion 7800N
> wireless router. So far every device i have (Ipad, wifes laptop and
> phones etc) can connect to the billion without a hitch.
>
> On my laptop i cannot find the SSID of my router. at first i thought it
> was a wirelss N issue (ie my laptop didnt support N) but its apparently
> not the issue as i have portable wireless hotspot with runs on N and i
> can use that AP fine from the laptop.

Just in case, if the AP allows to define a mixed protocol (a/b/g/n),
select that instead "only n". I've faced many problems with older Intel
wireless cards (Centrino based chipset) to join to modern access points.

In addition, you can configure the AP to do not hide the SSID and
broadcasts over the network. This can help, sometimes...

> Some output of iwconfig from the laptop
>
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:"XXXX_XXXX"
                       ^^^^

Good, that means the AP is capable to handle all those.

>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point:
>           CC:96:DD:DD:DD:43 Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=14 dBm
>           Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:off
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality=53/70  Signal level=-57 dBm Rx invalid
>           nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0 Tx
>           excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
> I have obviously changed the mac address and ESSID of the AP i am
> currently using.

(...)

Mmm... but your laptop is seeing the AP, what's the problem then, that
you can't pair/associate your wireless card to it? :-?

I would run N-M (or whatever applet/tool you are using to configure the
network adapter settings) and then try to establish a connection. While
doing so, open a terminal and as root type:

tail -f /var/log/syslog

There should be more information about the process that is taking place
in background.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón