Re: Slowness problem

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 20:53:41 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

(...)

>> Mmm... interesting. Note there's also Xorg there, taking too much of
>> your CPU cycles. I've seen this before, Google will confirm:
>>
>> http://bit.ly/LNMAzg
>>
>> But if you say you experience the same problem with another
>> applications, this points to a component that is shared between them,
>> and I can only think in Xorg and the VGA drivers. There's a additional
>> "but" here and is that as you are using Lenny, I can guess that none of
>> these two could have changed recently so the mistery still remains
>> unless you installed "something" recently :-)

> There is something I don't understand in this. Xorg takes way too much
> CPU cycles, which might be a cause of the slowness I'm currently
> encountering.

Yes, that's what I thought after reading the "top" values. Xorg can be
CPU intensive when you run specific tasks but 57% of the CPU is a bit
high.

> However, what is the link with the VGA drivers? I know Xorg is related
> to the graphical part of the system, but even if Xorg was eating way
> too much CPU cycles, how damn could it result in such a slowness? I'm
> having a 4-core config. with thus 4 CPUs at 2.66 Ghz!

It can be a problem/bug that hits a concrete VGA driver, for example. I
don't mean this is your case but it can happen (indeed, it happens so
often with GNOME or KDE desktops that now require 3D capabilities and
when using a closed-sourced driver, like ati fglxr or nvidia).

But your installation does not fit into this scenario, because lenny
stopped from receiving updates since months ago, and that's precisely
what confuses me, what could have changed in your side to start
experiencing this kind of problems "now" :-?

> I just checked the Nvidia website (for my GeForce 8400 GS), and it
> looks like they have absolutely no driver for me. However, many years
> ago, I installed a proprietary driver from Nvidia for my graphic card.
> Together with this driver, I installed nvidia-settings with TwinView.
> This is the way I'm having a multi-screen configuration.

Yes, I also have an nvidia card (quadro nvs 440) and still using the
"super-old" driver:

sm01@stt008:~$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii  nvidia-glx                           173.14.09-5           NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
ii  nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-2-amd64         173.14.09+3+lenny1    NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.26
ii  nvidia-kernel-common                 20080825+1            NVIDIA binary kernel module common files

But no weird problems so far.

> Here is my xorg.conf:

(...)

> It looks like my xorg.conf file has not been changed since 2010,
> according to the output of `ls -al' in /etc/X11.

That's the expected. OTOH, I see no problems with your xrog.conf file, it
appears pretty common.

>> Well, yes, the Firefox start page shouldn't be problematic _unless_ you
>> are using the new feature that displays the latest visited sites in
>> thumbnails ;-)

> I was speaking about the Youtube home page, that is, some kind of list
> of videos you might view.

Ah, then yes, the Youtube home page can be resource intensive because of
use of javascript routines and also the flash based advertising that show
as soon as the page loads.

(...)

Sorry, no more ideas on what the problem can be located. Maybe you can load
a LiveCD of your choice and test from there if the slowness is also present
although the test won't tell us nothing useful unless you aere facing some
sort of hardware related issue that is also triggered from the LiveCD :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón