Re: Synaptic preferences question

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 18:31:41 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 16:21 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> there still should be run, and that's why it takes a bit of time to get
>> Synaptic available and ready to work.
>
> No, you're mistaken. Synaptic DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY UPGRADE REPOSITORY
> INFORMATION.

Ralf, there's no need to shout.

> If Synaptic should do by default, I would go more nuts than I already
> do. I'm Suse proved and I know you're too, so I suspect you confuse
> Suse's YaST or even Smart with Synaptic.

(...)

No, I don't confuse the tools. I read it time ago but don't remember
where. Let me do a quick Google search... don't recall it was an article
from Ubuntu wiki but this can be better than nothing:

***
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto#Updating_the_Package_List

"Updating the Package List

Click Reload or press Ctrl + R to make Synaptic aware of the latest
updates and any changes to the list of repositories.

Although this is done automatically when you open Synaptic it can be a
good idea to update the database from time to time while running
Synaptic. (...)"
***

However, I don't know if this still remains true for the current Debian
version of Synaptic.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón