Re: Hardware problems -- was [Re: Is the a 'contrarian' Debian install available?]

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 15:03:17 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 10:13:31 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>
>>> As I write I was doing another test install. It appeared to proceed
>>> normally up until I was instructed to remove the CD. Seems to have
>>> crashed with a bunch of error message.
>>
>> Error messages are very important :-)

(...)

> Test procedure notes

I think the errors below are for a different install other than the
netiso, right? Okay...

(...)

> 4. A _appeared_ to go 'normal'. Instructed to remove CD so system could
> reboot. Hung with a long list
>      of what were apparently error messages

Any snapshot of those? As I said, the kind of the errors you get is
important. It can be from harmless (CD media read-seek errors) to serious
(packages not being properly installed or a hardware problem...).

(...)

> 9. Debian  LXDE install

(...)

> LOL  -----  seems to work ;/

Okay.

> next day ;)
>
> 12. Attempted to boot the LXDE just installed in "rescue" mode - it hung
> apparently waiting for the built in touch pad.  Powered off

Mmm... right after the install, it's better that you login into the
system and proceed with a full update (if you are in "stable"), there can
be many bugs or problems that could have been solved afterwards. This, of
course, does not apply for a "testing" system due to its rolling update
nature but yet it is better that you first login as usual into the
recently installed OS and setup a basic configuration.

> 13. Attempted boot same LXDE but in "normal" mode.

Good :-)

> It hung.

At what point? What was printed in the screen?

> But 3 lines up I noticed instruction to hit Cntl-D to proceed.
> I did. It did ;]

Ctrl+D will give yu the busybox/maintenance console, you can run some
basic command and check for the existance of files, review the logs...
you can do some work from here.

> 14. Repeated  Step 3. This time it failed at the same point but without
> displaying any messages.

Nothing in your monitor? :-?

> 15. Powered off and rebooted. Appeared normal accepting user password.
> However it rejected root's password when attempting to access "Root
> Terminal" under "Accessories" sub-menu. Other installs seem to act
> normally.

If you configured sudo, you will be asked for the user password instead
root's one.

> I've seen root's password being rejected before. It was what prompted me
> to remove Windows Vista Home edition and follow the steps just listed.

?

I wonder what kind of odd relation do you see in having a problem with
your root's password and Windows Vista >:-?

For the root password issue you can run more tests, for instance, opening
a terminal and "su -", to see what happens.

> CONCLUSION: I've some flaky hardware.

Mmm... I'm not that sure, at least for the kind of the problems you have
described it does not lead to me to think of a hardware problem (at least
not exclusively) , there's not enough information to prove that point.

> After warranty period, used computers are definitely "caveat emptor".
> With 4 Linuxes now installed, I still have only one SWAP partition -
> proves at least one problem was "operator error" ;!

Warranty is a delusion, I never bother about it anymore and prefer to
always buy for good, well designed, well manufactured, well engineered
hardware components :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón