Hardware problems -- was [Re: Is the a 'contrarian' Debian install available?]

Camaleón wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 10:13:31 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

(...)

As I write I was doing another test install. It appeared to proceed
normally up until I was instructed to remove the CD. Seems to have
crashed with a bunch of error message.

Error messages are very important :-)

You can take a snapshot with a standard DSC camera or using cell phone's
one and upload the image somewhere (www.picpaste.com) so we can check for
that logs.

 From the form of the messages I suspect bad memory. I'll have to retry
and pay closer attention to the screen. Now just where did I put
memtest ;<

According to the FAQ:

http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/index.en.html

The netinst ISO contains the required packages to get the system running,
so back to your first question: yes, it is possible to install a bare
system with this image and no Internet connection.

The installed system won't be suitable for text based servers nor even
small appliances, you'll need to get more packages once the installer
finishes, you first login and setup the system basics (source
repositories, network connections...).

Test procedure notes

1. Delete all existing partitions - used GParted CD as I had been examining things with it 2. Will not use internet at all but will take advantage that there are wifi servers nearby for which I lack passwords. Installer will attempt to connect, it will fail and I will use the option to configure at another time in order to skip internet for rest of install. 3. Do reasonably standard install of from 6.0.3 Gnome Live CD - exceptions noted
    a. Chose "Text Install" from LiveCD menu
b. when DHCP network configuration failed as expected chose not to configure network
    c. chose manual partitioning :
        10GB Primary Partition, Ext3, mount as /
        4GB swap
4. A _appeared_ to go 'normal'. Instructed to remove CD so system could reboot. Hung with a long list
    of what were apparently error messages

5. not touching anything on the disk attempt a Ubuntu 10.10 install
6. Chose "Install Ubuntu" from Welcome screen
do not chose "download updates while installing" nor "third party software"
    manual partitioning - 10 GB ext3 as /

7. The Ubuntu install had also installed memtest86 v4.x Running 6 repetitions showed NO errors. Implies the problem(s) I observed @ #4 above were probably not memory failures.
8. Found a copy of a Segate Disk Test - Ran all tests - all pass

9. Debian LXDE install - chose text install- lots of defaults until DHCP failed as expected
10  do not configure network at this time :/
11 chose manual partition - 10GB ext3 as / -- not sure if existing swap will be recognized - really need real time video :< LOL ----- seems to work ;/

next day ;)

12. Attempted to boot the LXDE just installed in "rescue" mode - it hung apparently waiting for the built in touch pad. Powered off 13. Attempted boot same LXDE but in "normal" mode. It hung. But 3 lines up I noticed instruction to hit Cntl-D to proceed. I did. It did ;] 14. Repeated Step 3. This time it failed at the same point but without displaying any messages. 15. Powered off and rebooted. Appeared normal accepting user password. However it rejected root's password when attempting to access "Root Terminal" under "Accessories" sub-menu. Other installs seem to act normally.

I've seen root's password being rejected before. It was what prompted me to remove Windows Vista Home edition and follow the steps just listed.

CONCLUSION: I've some flaky hardware. After warranty period, used computers are definitely "caveat emptor". With 4 Linuxes now installed, I still have only one SWAP partition - proves at least one problem was "operator error" ;!