Re: Is the a 'contrarian' Debian install available?

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 10:13:31 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

(...)

> As I write I was doing another test install. It appeared to proceed
> normally up until I was instructed to remove the CD. Seems to have
> crashed with a bunch of error message.

Error messages are very important :-)

You can take a snapshot with a standard DSC camera or using cell phone's
one and upload the image somewhere (www.picpaste.com) so we can check for
that logs.

> From the form of the messages I suspect bad memory. I'll have to retry
> and pay closer attention to the screen. Now just where did I put
> memtest ;<

According to the FAQ:

http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/index.en.html

The netinst ISO contains the required packages to get the system running,
so back to your first question: yes, it is possible to install a bare
system with this image and no Internet connection.

The installed system won't be suitable for text based servers nor even
small appliances, you'll need to get more packages once the installer
finishes, you first login and setup the system basics (source
repositories, network connections...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón