Re: fonts used by evince

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 08:54:47 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> Well, as I already explained, the same TrueType font works well in
>>> Wheezy so to my eyes is not the font that is a menace but a bug
>>> located elsewhere in both Squeeze and Lenny :-)

Mmm... after running more tests in Wheezy I realized that *any* of the
symbol.ttf fonts I've tested (Paul's and mine) are failing to render the
PDF.

What happened is that I forgot to remove the "~/.fonts.conf" when I was
doing the first tests and instead rendering Symbol it was being replaced
with a different font, that's why I thought in Wheezy was working fine.

After removing "~/.fonts.conf" and having the MS (or URW) symbol.ttf
under "/usr/local/share/fonts" the sample PDF is still showing the wrong
characters.

>> Where can we download this file to test?
>
> I'm using the Symbol TrueType font that came by default along with
> Windows XP¹, I can send you the file if you want to play with it.

And here it comes another recent discovery I've made that points to a
glyphs problem... if I open the sample PDF file (Fig5.pdf) with a text
editor (mcedit Fig5.pdf), scroll down to line #134 and add the following
(#135):

#134 /BaseFont /Symbol
#135 /Encoding /MacRomanEncoding << this line

Save the document and open again with a PDF reader, et voilà, the
characters are properly displayed. So what can be happening after all is
that the "symbol.ttf" fonts we are using lack for the required glyphs to
render a specific set of the encoded characters but not all.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón