Re: fonts used by evince

Okay,
I don't precisely know what fixed it but now the font is correctly
displayed for me. deleting files from /usr/share/fonts/ somewhat brought
unreproducible results. I started font-manager (which I believed to be
inactive since I commented out the corresponding entries in
~/.fonts.conf). In debuging earlier I added the symbol.ttf which comes
with cernroot to the user fonts of the font-manager (didn't help back then).
Now I removed symbol.ttf from the font manager and restored
/usr/share/fonts to how my standard package installation prepared it.
Now the plot gets displayed correctly.

my conclusion:
- no idea what went wrong before I installed font-manager
- symbol.ttf which comes with cernroot is behaving strangely
  using it for displaying causes wrong displaying of non embedded greek
  letters.
- if you create pdfs always embed fonts
- I learned the gs command to repair pdfs.
- ttf files not only help displaying fonts, they can also break it.

Thanks for all suggestions,
Paul