Re: accented characters in text console

Chris Davies:
> Siard:
> > hvw59601:
> > > I want to enter accented characters in a text console (not in X!)
> >
> > and everyone seems to have missed that.
>
> Nope. I have a working Compose key in a VT. See my other post in this
> thread.

Yes, I have it working now. In Wheezy (i.e. not in Squeeze yet) the
default keyboard layout as defined in /etc/default/keyboard is shared
between the console and X.
An option like "XKBOPTIONS=" in /etc/default/keyboard is nonetheless
somewhat confusing then; the X in this name would usually indicate that
it only applies to X.

I found a new possible cause for OP's problem.
S/he has en_US.ISO-8859-15 as the only locale.
Now if I use 'dpkg-reconfigure locales' to set the locale to
en_US.ISO-8859-15, then in /etc/default/locale the LANG option is
commented out.

/etc/default/locale:
#LANG=<whatever was previously here>

With other locales, LANG is set to the preferred language, but en_US is
apparently considered as a default here, without the need to specify it.
But if I set LANG to the correct value, then _that_ makes it work.

LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-15

For example, in the console, Ctrl+Period then ' then e produces é.