Re: accented characters in text console

On 06/20/2012 06:58 PM, hvw59601 wrote:
Hi,

I want to enter accented characters in a text console (not in X!). I used to do it because I have the files that show them, but I have no idea how I did that.

The keyboard is a US keyboard.

At the moment /etc/default/keyboard shows:

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="us"
XKBVARIANT="intl"
#XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS="lv3:ralt_switch,compose:rctrl,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

BACKSPACE="guess"

Hitting the ' key just produces the ' character.

Compose key + ' produces a beep.

Cntrl + . then ' and any other character produces a ÿ.

/etc/locale.gen is set to en_US.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15.

Hugo

If you have a compose key (or if you don't then make one,
out of the right control key, or a Microsoft key, if you have one)
then you are half way there. By half, I mean that you have to
key in two characters AFTER compose. Like this:
(compose) " o and get ö or (compose) ' e for è or whatever. Note that
you don't hold the compose key--you strike it, and then fairly quickly,
enter the two characters that make up the desired glyph.
Most glyphs are made of things that look like they go together.
A few don't: you need (compose) s s ß and get the German
ess-tset character. You can also get €, and ¢ and ¥ and £
and fractions ½ ⅓ ¼ and 78° Fahrenheit--that's (compose) o o.

so now you know.

--doug