fonts used by evince

Dear all,

I have created an eps file with cern root and converted it with
epstopdf to pdf.
http://mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de/~pseyfert/Fig5.pdf
I then look at the result in evince
http://mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de/~pseyfert/fonts.png (right)
for reference it should look like the one displayed by acroread (left).
as you see the mu are displayed wrongly (pi as well, I didn't go
further through the symbols and letters).
Apparently root does not embed the fonts it uses into the eps file -
which is a problem on its own which I don't want to address here.

I'm using debian testing and have already quite some font packages
installed. Moreover on a colleague's computer running ubuntu the file
is displayed by evince correctly and we compared the packages listed
in synaptic under "fonts" and we have the same (except for a package
called ubuntu-fonts or similar) packages installed (certainly not the
same versions but the same package names).

As a brute force test I backuped my /usr/share/fonts directory and
replaced it by the ubuntu /usr/share/fonts. After a reboot my evince
still didn't display the mu correctly. I then removed the ubuntu
/usr/share/fonts again and restored my backup.

Is evince at all using fonts from /usr/share/fonts? (if not, where
should I start searching for the missing font)
Do you have recommendations what to do to get the plot correctly
displayed in evince?

If it helps, see the output of pdffonts on that pdf file below.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

pseyfert@robusta $ pdffonts Fig5.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni
object ID
- ------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- ---
- ---------
Times-Italic                         Type 1            no  no  no
  7  0
Times-Bold                           Type 1            no  no  no
  8  0
Times-BoldItalic                     Type 1            no  no  no
  9  0
Helvetica                            Type 1            no  no  no
 10  0
Helvetica-Oblique                    Type 1            no  no  no
 11  0
Helvetica-Bold                       Type 1            no  no  no
 12  0
Helvetica-BoldOblique                Type 1            no  no  no
 13  0
Courier                              Type 1            no  no  no
 14  0
Courier-Oblique                      Type 1            no  no  no
 15  0
Courier-Bold                         Type 1            no  no  no
 16  0
Courier-BoldOblique                  Type 1            no  no  no
 17  0
Symbol                               Type 1            no  no  no
 18  0
Times-Roman                          Type 1            no  no  no
 19  0
ZapfDingbats                         Type 1            no  no  no
 20  0
Symbol                               Type 1            no  no  no
 21  0