Re: Antivirus for CLI

This might be important for the OP too:

On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 20:01 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> Ralf, I don't know why is that you don't want to give your points about
> ClamAV, but saying "I don't like for several resons" and "ClamAV was
> unreliable here..." without providing more data that proves the above,
> well, I will have to take it as your "personal" POV and nothing more.

Virus detection most of the times was better using AVIRA.
AVIRA was more stable and had a better for free support, perhaps AVIRA
simply had more money and a longer time experience, than Sourcefire,
dunno. Again, YMMV, it's just what I experienced. What details are
missing? I don't have statistics.
It might be that I had to protect XP users and you needed to protect
98se or Vista users and AVIRA simply had a better database for virulent
software that only attacks XP, dunno.
I didn't automate anything, just run manually from a terminal emulation.
Setting up auto-scanning for e.g. emails might be more difficult for
AVIRA, dunno, at least default settings for my needs were easier to set
up.

So if somebody asks for CLI tools, I only can mention tools I know and I
only know Clam and AVIRA, since Clam already was mentioned I mentioned
AVIRA only, but add my experiences. I can't give you more information.

Perhaps the OP is interested in your better experiences and the reasons
for that, with Clam. I don't know why AVIRA was more stable on my
machine, it simply happened and I didn't search for the reason. I only
can repeat, that bug reports were ignored by Clam and AVIRA did take
care very well.

Hth